UNSC is one of the most important organ of UN which is responsible for Maintenance of Internal Peace and Security. This is responsible for addition of new Nations, even UNSC decisions are binding on every members. This is the highest decision making in the world. It can order military actions by its Resolutions.
Location: New York, USA
Establishment Year : 1945, first sessions held in 17th Jan 1945.
- It has total 15 members out of which 5 members are permanent which has veto power – China, Russia, France, UK and USA ( These are the victorious countries of World War 2).
- Non-Permanent Members : There are 10 non permanent members being chosen as follows
- 5 from AFrican and Asian States.
- 1 from Estern Eurore
- 2 From Latin America
- 2 From Western Eurore and other states.
- Non-permanent Members are elected for term on 5 years by General Assembly with 2/3 of majority.
Measure Roles and Responsibility of USCN
- Most important Role is Peace Keeping and Collection Sercurity of Globe.
- Investigate any situation which can threatened the peace of world.
- Recommend process and procedure for peaceful resolution of any dispute.
- Call upon members to implement economic issues
- recommend the secretary of UN General Assembly.
- Admit the new states into UN.
- Order Military Actions which are binding on member nations.
- Impose the judgment of Internal Court, in case countries are not signatory of IC.
United Nations Peace Keepers
- UN has around 1lac peace keeping forces which are sent time to time when needed, these are voluntary provided by member nations.
- They have got collective Noble Prize in 1988 as well.
UNSC has taken several Missions which includes – MONUSCO, UNMOGIP etc.
There have beed various criticism as well about the reform int the UNSC as demanded by member countries, like inclusio of G4 Nations in the council, Increasing the member of UNSC, concern about the veto power etc.