Current Affairs National
Om Prakash Rawat appointed new Chief Election Commissioner
- The Union Law Ministry on Sunday appointed Election Commissioner Om Prakash Rawat as the next Chief Election Commissioner (CEC), he will succeed Achal Kumar Jyoti who will retire on Monday.
- Former Finance Secretary Ashok Lavasa is appointed as Election Commissioner to fill the vacant position created by Om Prakash Rawat.
Home Minister launches ‘Bharat Ke Veer’ anthem
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Saturday launched an official anthem for “Bharat Ke Veer” which is sung and composed by singer Kailash Kher.
- Bharat ke Veer is an initiative with an objective to enable willing donors to contribute towards the family of a brave heart who sacrificed his/her life in line of duty.
A.P.J. Abdul Kalam was “space scientist” Narendra Modi is a “social scientist” says President of India
- President Ram Nath Kovind during the 66th convocation of the Gujarat University drew a parallel between A.P.J. Abdul Kalam and Narendra Modi, saying while the former President was a “space scientist”, the Prime Minister is a “social scientist”.
President Ram Nath Kovind accepts disqualification of 20 AAP MLAs
- President Ram Nath Kovind on Sunday accepted the recommendation of the Election Commission to disqualify the 20 MLAs of the Aam Aadmi Party (AAP).
- The disqualified MLAs were accused of holding offices of profit.
- Aam Aadmi Party said that it will challenge MLAs’ disqualification in Delhi high court today.
Senion IPS officer Sudeep Lakhtakia is the new DG of National Security Guards
- Senion IPS officer Sudeep Lakhtakia has been appointed as the new Director General (DG) of National Security Guard.
- The National Security Guard (NSG) is an Indian special forces unit under the Ministry of Home Affairs.
Current Affairs Business and Economy
Paytm introduces application ‘Paytm for Business’
- Paytm introduced an application named Paytm for Business to enable small and medium businesses to accept digital payments.
- “The ‘Paytm for Business’ app will make managing day-to-day business operations simpler for our partner merchants,” said Kiran Vasireddy, COO, Paytm.
- The application will be available in 10 regional languages.
India will overtake China to be the fastest growing economy in 2018 says report
- According to Sanctum Wealth Management report India will overtake China and become the fastest growing large economy in 2018.
- Also the equity market of country will become the fifth largest in the world.
Current Affairs Sports
Rafael Nadal reaches quarterfinal of Australia Open
- Spain’s tennis player Rafael Nadal reached quarter final by defeating Argentina’s Diego Schwartzman.
- Nadal will next play sixth-seeded Croatian player Marin Cilic.
Current Affairs World
Apple teams up with Malala Fund to help girls to receive quality education
- Apple has teamed up with Malala Fund to support girls’ education. It will also help Malala Fund with technology, curriculum and education policy research.
- Malala Fund was founded by in 2013 by Malala Yousafzai and her father Ziauddin, to empower young girls and help them access the quality education they deserve.
Valletta, the Capital of Malta named as European Capital of Culture
- Malta’s capital city Valletta was officially named European Capital of Culture for 2018 on Saturday.It will share the title with Leeuwarden in the Netherlands.
- ‘European Capital of Culture’ initiative aims to highlight the richness and diversity of cultures in Europe, celebrate the cultural features Europeans share, Increase European citizens’ sense of belonging to a common cultural area and foster the contribution of culture to the development of cities.
Current Affairs Miscellaneous
CPI(M) veteran and chairman of the Left Front Committee of Tripura Khagen Das passes away
- CPI(M) veteran and chairman of Left Front Committee of Tripura Khagen Das passed away in Kolkata on Sunday.
- Khagen Das served as a Minister and member of the Rajya Sabha and the Lok Sabha. He was a member of the 14th Lok Sabha of India.
Google Doodle celebrates birth anniversary of Soviet film director and film theorist Sergei Mikhailovich Eisenstein
- Goggle celebrates birth anniversary of Soviet film director and film theorist Sergei Mikhailovich Eisenstein with a google doodle.
- Born on 22 January 1898 Sergei Milhailovich Eisenstein was a Soviet film director and film theorist, a pioneer in the theory and practice of montage.
- His notable movies includes Strike, Battleship Potemkin, October: Ten Days That Shook the World, Alexander Nevsky,Ivan the Terrible.
Also Read: 21 January Current Affairs