Current Affairs National
India to begin talks to acquire Israeli anti-tank missiles
- The defence ministry will negotiate to buy at least 3,000 Spike missiles manufactured by Rafael Advanced Defense Systems through a government-to-government (G2G) route.
- This will meet the army’s urgent requirements and fill the gap before the indigenous Nag anti-tank missile system is inducted.
Indian services sector sees fastest growth in 3 months in Jan
- The Indian service sector grew in January, registering the fastest rise in activity in three months party due to renewed increase in new business orders, according to the monthly Nikkei Services Business Activity Index.
- The seasonally adjusted Nikkei Services Business Activity Index improved to 51.7 in January, up from 50.9 in December, signalling a faster expansion.
The first ever International Kala Mela in Dehli
- The First ever International Kala Mela was inaugurated by the Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu in New Delhi on Sunday.
- The International Kala Mela has been organised by the Lalit Kala Akademi in partnership with IGNCA of the Ministry of Culture.
- More than 800 artists from across the world are taking part in the Festival.
President Ram Nath Kovind to open Rashtrapati Bhavan’s annual ‘Udyanotsav’ on Monday
- President Ram Nath Kovind will inaugurate the annual “Udyanotsav” of Rashtrapati Bhavan on Monday.
- The Mughal Gardens will be open for the public from February 6, 2018, to March 9, 2018 between 9.30 am to 4 pm.
- The public will be able to visit the Spiritual Garden, Herbal Garden, Bonsai Garden and Musical Garden during these hours.
Railways to Setup PRS Counters at Post Offices Across Country
- Indian Railways is likely to setup Passenger Reservation System (PRS) counters at Post Offices across the country.
- For this purpose, it has signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Department of Posts.
- At present, PRS counters are available at about 280 post offices all over India.
Indian Railways to create database of contract workers
- Railways will create a database of workers engaged by contractors in non-operational areas such as housekeeping, cleaning, consultancy, training and other such services.
- Indian Railways took this step to ensure welfare of contract workers regarding payment of wages, work site facilities, sexual harassment, or through a provision for recording anonymous complaints from workers, citizens and others regarding violation of labour laws by contractor.
Current Affairs Sports
India beat South Africa to win second ODI
- India won the Second ODI against South Africa by 9 wickets.
- South Africa lost all their wickets in 32.2 overs with a score of 118.
- India achieved the target in 20.3 overs with 9 wickets in hand.
- Yuzvendra Chahal who took 5 wickets was the Man of the match.
India Open Final
- PV Sindhu lost the final to World No. 11 Beiwen Zhang of USA.
- The final was played at Siri Fort Complex in Delhi on Sunday.
- Sindhu lost the final in three games 18-21, 21-11, 20-22 in one hour and nine minutes.
Current Affairs World
Nigeria claims complete victory over Boko Haram
- The Nigerian Army has completely defeated the Boko Haram insurgents in the restive northeast parts of the country, said Maj Gen Rogers Nicholas, head of a military operation.
- Nicholas, the Theatre Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole said the collaboration between the two militaries was critical to the successful completion of the counter-insurgency campaign.
Australia Government Will Not Finance Rail Link For Adani Project
- The Australian government today said it would not finance a vital rail-link project that supports beleaguered Indian energy giant’s 16.5 billion dollars Carmichael coal mine.
- Adani has sought a 900 million dollar concessional loan for rail to link the Carmichael mine to port.
- Adani Australia currently employs over 800 people and has invested over 3.3 billion dollars in Queensland, which is the biggest investments by an Indian company in Australia.
Sri Lanka celebrates its 70th Independence Day
- Sri Lanka celebrated its 70th Independence Day at the Galle Face Green on 4 February.
- It got independence from British rule on February 04, 1948.
Imp Note : Capital of SriLanka – Colombo
President : Maithripala Sirisena
Prime Minister : Ranil Wickremesinghe
Mahmud Hossain sworn in as new chief justice ofBangladesh
- Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain, a judge of the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court, has taken oath as the new chief justice of Bangladesh.
- Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, former chief justices, ministers, advisers to the prime minister, the chief whip, Supreme Court judges, the attorney general, senior lawyers, the chief election commissioner and chiefs of the three services were, among others, present at the event.
- The swearing-in ceremony was conducted by Cabinet Secretary Mohammad Shafiul Alam.
Current Affairs Miscellaneous
US Air Force Chief Flies In ‘Made-In-India’ Tejas Aircraft In Jodhpur
- General David L Goldfein, Chief of Staff of US Air Force flew in India’s indigenous light combat aircraft, the Tejas.
- Special flight took off from the Jodhpur Air Force Station. The US Air Force chief was accompanied by Air Vice Marshal AP Singh as co-pilot during the 40-minute ride.
- General Goldfein is the first foreign chief commander to fly in the Tejas Aircraft.
Mumbai airport becomes world’s busiest single-runway airport
- On January 20, Mumbai airport created a new world record for single-runway operations by handling 980 arrivals and take-offs in 24 hours.
- With this, the Mumbai Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International airport bettered its own feat of 974 flights in 24 hours, recorded on December 6, 2017.
Also Read : 4 February Current Affairs