UPSC Preparation strategy, tips to read newspaper for CSE, strategy to read The Hindu newspaper, tips for reading newspaper for prelims, tips for reading newspaper for mains, things to avoid while reading newspaper, Necessary thing for UPSC preparation, why to read The Hindu, Why The Hindu is must for CSE preparation
Best Way to Read The Hindu Newspaper for UPSC CSE Preparation
There are many candidates who are preparing for civil services examination and almost every candidate knows the importance of reading a newspaper daily, which is must for UPSC Civil Services Examination. Among all the available newspapers, the mostly recommended newspaper is “The Hindu” because of its high standard.
In this article, we are going to help you about how to read the newspaper, which are the areas which you need to focus on your exam and which area you have to eliminate from your reading.
Also read: The details of UPSC exam.
Why “The Hindu”?
Firstly we start with Why you should read The Hindu newspaper or why it is most recommended newspaper. The main feature is that The Hindu distinguishes perfectly between news and opinions. It gives priority to the areas of national concern which is important for CSE and it usually avoids trivial issues.
But reading requires completely at least an hour daily along with the books and other materials. By a proper practice of reading you can easily capture the necessary things you need for CSE. You should give only an hour to the reading of newspaper.
Must read: Everything about UPSC exam from scratch.
How to read The Hindu?
Most of the questions were asked from this newspaper as it covers the wide area of news. Before you proceed further there are few points which you need to consider while reading the newspaper:
- Always have the syllabus in front of you.
- Have the previous year’s question papers with you and keep referring to them. This will help you to understand the pattern of the paper.
- Rather than reading the newspaper word by word, understand the topic or issue which is being discussed. After clearing with the issue start making notes on your own topic wise and date wise.
- Try not to spend more than an hour on newspaper reading. There are many students who end up spending 3-4 hours on reading a newspaper but this is not preferable and helpful.
- The most important thing is a quick reading of the newspaper jotting the important point. This will further help you in your revision.
Also read: The list of books for UPSC CSE Preparation.
Tips to Read The Hindu
Focus on Issue
Always focus on the issue rather than focusing on news. Suppose there is a news headlined as “CEO of a reputed company is removed from his seat”. So don’t focus on who is removed instead of that focus on what and how. Focus on “what he did so he is removed, when is he removed” etc.
Focus on “how a multinational company CEO can be removed”. “What kind of provisions are available in our constitution for the removal from the seat”.
Categorize the News in Few Categories
Divide any issue or any kind of news into categories or sub categories. Some of the few categories are International Relations, Environment & Biodiversity, Government Policies & Schemes, Economic Policies, Personalities & Awards, International Organizations, Science & Technology etc.
Read The Hindu’s Editorial
The matter in The Hindu is not enough. You have to search on the internet to get more news or to stay updated with the things happening in our country. For example: If something like DNA Profiling Bill is in trending news, so you can see it in The Hindu Editorial as well.
Editorial will give you some idea and points related to it but this information is not enough. You have to search the questions emerging in your mind like in this case the questions can be “What is the need of DNA Profiling in India”, “What are the effects of DNA Profiling on people life”, “What is law about DNA profiling” etc.
Important Topics for Prelims
For prelims you will have to know:
- What are the objectives of the various policies available?
- How do the policies operate?
- Under which ministry the policies work?
- Special features of the policy.
- If the policy is defined by an organization then Who are the members of the organization?
- Any kind of laws or constitution provisions related to policy.
Must see: The strategy for UPSC Prelims.
Important Topics for Mains
For mains, it is important for you to understand the issue related to the policy/ scheme.
- You should make notes on advantages and disadvantages of the policy.
- When you are reading the editorial, first identify the issue. After identifying the issue find out the points in against and favor of it.
- It is your duty to identify the issue and points both for the topic and against the topic.
Must see: The strategy for UPSC Interview.
What should be Focused?
The things you should focus while reading The Hindu are:
- Good analysis of current issues.
- Supreme Court and High Court verdicts.
- National and International importance issues.
- Parliamentary Debates.
- Government Policies and Orders.
- Make notes on the current topics.
Must read: How to prepare for UPSC while working?
What should not be Focused?
While you are focusing on necessary things you also have to take care of the things you should omit while reading the newspaper. Some of the things which you should omit are:
- Local News.
- Political News.
- Masala Item such as Bollywood news, film reviews etc.
- Trivial issues like sports titles, awards etc.
You should keep the UPSC syllabus in front of you while reading the newspaper. This would help you to find the important things on which you need to concentrate.
This is all about How to prepare or read the Hindu newspaper for UPSC Civil Services Examination Preparation. As you start as a beginner it will take some time to extract the necessary information from the newspaper and you will find it difficult to read the newspaper daily. But as you will learn gradually and once you are clear with the basic concepts you can easily read the newspaper and your preparation will change upside down.
Try to inhibit this habit as soon as possible because if you don’t do it interestingly it will soon become a burden for you. But if you will start taking the interest you will find it very helpful and you will start loving your preparation process.
Other Important Websites
Also read: Everything about UPSC exam from scratch.
If you have any doubt or need guidance you can comment below, our team will try to answer it.