Current Affairs National
High performance computer facility launched in Noida
- To improve India’s weather forecasting, the ministry of earth science (MoES) on Tuesday launched a high performance computer (HPC) system named Mihir.
- India will now also be ranked 4th, after Japan, UK and US for dedicated HPC resources for weather/climate community. Soon India will be able to match the capacities of these nations, Harsh Vardhan, Union minister for earth science, environment, forest & climate change said during the launch.
5 MPs selected for Outstanding Parliamentarian Awards
- Five members of parliament (MPs) are selected for Outstanding Parliamentarian Awards on Monday.
- Manipur’s governor and five time Rajya Sabha member Najma A Heptulla (2013), BJP’s Lok Sabha member Hukumdev Narayan Yadav (2014), five-time Rajya Sabha member Bhartruhari Mahatab of the Lok Biju Janata Dal (BJD) (2017), Congress leader Ghulam Nabi Azad and Trinamool Congress’ Dinesh Trivedi are the 5 MPs selected for Outstanding Parliamentarian Awards.
- The Outstanding Parliamentarian Award was established in 1995. So far 18 eminent MPs have received the award.
Union Government launches GeM 3.0 with enhanched features
- Government has launched the advanced version of GeM – the Government E Marketplace portal.
- The new version GeM would offer standardised and enriched catalogue management, powerful search engine, demand aggregation, user rating and analytics.
- GeM 3.0 has undergone a digital transformation with superior technology and ability to scale from the previous version.
42nd International Kolkata Book Fair
- Chief minister Mamata Banerjee launched the 42nd International Kolkata Book Fair at Central Park in Salt Lake on Wednesday.
- Mamta Banerjee, who is also an author and a poet, released her own books of non-fiction and poetry.
- French delegates along with the French Ambassador to India, Alexandre Ziegler, was also present at the event.
Current Affairs Business and Economy
SBI to issue credit cards to farmers
- State Bank of India (SBI) has introduced a pilot scheme on credit cards for farmers, which extends facilities like lower interest rate besides the normal 40 days’ credit available for credit card users.
- “We have launched this facility on a pilot basis in three States – Rajasthan, Gujarat and Madhya Pradesh. So far, 100 applications have been received. We will go national, based on the response and our own experience,” SBI Chairman said.
Imp Note : SBI Chairman – Rajnish Kumar
Current Affairs Sports
Under-19 cricket World Cup 2018
- The third place play-off match of Under-19 cricket World Cup 2018 between Pakistan and Afghanistan was washed out without a ball being bowled at the Queenstown Events Centre on Thursday.
- Pakistan were awarded a third place finish as they had finished atop their group while Afghanistan were second.
Current Affairs World
SpaceX rocket launched communications satellite for NATO
- A SpaceX Falcon launched 9 rocket off from Florida on Wednesday.
- Rocket is carrying a Luxembourg-made communications satellite into orbit.
- It is designed to expand NATO’s surveillance reach and its capability to deter cyber attacks on alliance members.
- It was launched from Complex 41 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, USA.
Imp Note : NATO – North Atlantic Treaty Organization
Hong Kong approves ban on ivory retail market
- Hong Kong lawmakers gave final approval on Wednesday to a government proposal banning local ivory trading in the Chinese territory by 2021.
- Banning Ivory is a major victory in the fight to save elephants for the conservation organisations.
- The proposal also includes significantly stiffer penalties to deter smuggling of ivory and other products of highly endangered species.
Current Affairs Miscellaneous
‘Speaking Truth To Power’ book launched
- Former finance minister P Chidambaram’s book ‘Speaking Truth To Power’ was launched on Tuesday in the national capital.
- During launch event he said “I urge many of you to speak, because not all can write and not all have inclination to write. But I think we all should speak, because if we do not speak truth to power, we will betray the mandate and legacy of our founding fathers”
EPFO makes new company registration paperless
- Now employers can update Form 5A online and submit with e-signatures.
- “Earlier, employers had to submit a physical copy of Form 5A to the concerned EPFO field office upon new registration of establishment and whenever there was any change in ownership details,” EPFO said on Tuesday.
Imp Note : EPFO – Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation
Also Read : 31 January Current Affairs