Current Affairs National
Delhi government, MoEF jointly launch ‘Clean Air Campaign’
- The Delhi government the MoEF jointly launched the Clean Air Campaign, which will continue for 2 weeks till February 23.
- As part of the Campaign, 70 teams have already been constituted. These comprise one senior officer of MoEF&CC and another from Delhi government, who will be the co-leaders of the team. The team will also include one member from CPCB, Delhi Pollution Control Committee (DPCC) and one member from the concerned municipal corporation. The Campaign will also include interactions with Non-Government Organisations (NGOs), civil society citizens, academic and R&D institutions
China Reopens Nathu La Route for Kailash Mansarovar Yatra
- China has confirmed “resumption” of Kailash Mansarovar Yatra through the Nathu La route, Minister of State for External Affairs V K Singh has said
- The yatra was stopped by China in the aftermath of the military face-off with India last year at Doklam.
India, Oman signs 8 agreements
- India and Oman has signed 8 agreements during PM Modi’s visit to Oman.
- The two strategic partners discussed to strengthen cooperation in trade & investment, energy, defence & security, food security and regional issues said Ministry of External Affairs.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Sultan of Oman signed eight agreements, including an MoU on legal and judicial cooperation in civil and commercial matters.
- The two sides also signed agreement to the MoU on military cooperation.
International Conference on Unani Medicine inaugurated
- Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region, MoS PMO and D/o Atomic Energy and Space Dr Jitender Singh inaugurated a two-day International Conference on Unani Medicine organized by the Central Council for Research in Unani Medicine (CCRUM) as a part of Unani Day celebration in New Delhi on Saturday.
- On this occasion, a MoU was signed between CCRUM and Hamdard University, Bangladesh to establish an “academic chair” in Unani System of medicine in Bangladesh.
- Hakim Ajmal Khan, whose 150th Birth Anniversary was on 11th February is being celebrated as Unani Day.
Current Affairs Business and Economy
Reliance Industries Limited wins the coveted ‘Golden Peacock Award for Corporate Social Responsibility’
- Reliance Industries Limited (RIL) wins the Golden Peacock Award 2017 for the success of its Corporate Social Responsibility initiatives and in particular for the trans formative work done by Reliance Foundation (RF), the Corporate Social Responsibility arm of the Company.
- RIL was recognized by the Awards Jury under the Chairmanship of Justice (Dr.) Arijit Pasayat, former Judge, Supreme Court of India.
- RIL has touched the lives of over 15 Mn people across India covering more than 13,500 villages and 74 urban locations.
HDFC Bank appoints Rakesh Singh as private banking head
- Private sector bank HDFC Bank has appointed Rakesh Singh as private banking head.
- He will continue to head the bank’s investment banking, capital markets and financial institutions businesses, the bank said in a statement.
India Post Payments Bank will begin nationwide rollout in April
- India Post Payments Bank will begin its nationwide rollout in April.
- “Once the proposed expansion is completed, IPPB will be providing the largest financial inclusion network in the country, covering both urban as well as rural hinterland with ability to provide digital payment services at the doorstep with the help of Postmen and Gramin Dak Sewaks (GDS),” the Government statement said.
Current Affairs Sports
Australian Cricket Team Skipper Steve Smith wins Allan Border
- Steve Smith on Monday won the Allan Border Medal, the highest honour for an Australian male cricketer, for the second time.
- Smith also received the Australian Test Player of the Year award.
- In January, the International Cricket Council voted Steve Smith as the Test Player of the Year. Smith became the third player after former captains Michael Clarke and Ricky Ponting to win the award multiple times.
Current Affairs World
Iran marks 39th anniversary of Islamic Revolution
- Hundreds of thousands of Iranians rallied on the streets Sunday to mark the 39th anniversary of the 1979 Islamic Revolution.
- The Islamic Revolution refers to events involving the overthrow of the Pahlavi dynasty under Mohammad Reza Shah Pahlavi, who was supported by the United States, and eventual replacement of 2,500 years of continuous Persian monarchy with an Islamic Republic under the Grand Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, the leader of the revolution, supported by a wide range of people including various Islamist and leftist organizations and student movements.
Indonesian Finance Minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati wins world’s Best Minister Award
- Indonesia’s Finance Minister on Sundaynwon the ‘Best Minister in the World’ award at the World Government Summit in Dubai.
- Indrawati was recognised for her efforts in fighting corruption and increasing transparency in the government with the help of her team at the Ministry of Finance in Indonesia.
- Earlier, she was awarded the Best Finance Minister in Asia (2006). Moreover, she peaked at 23rd in Forbes’ 2008 top 100 most powerful women ranking.
Current Affairs Miscellaneous
Rajnath Singh inaugurates first spoken Sanskrit centre
- Gujarat University on Saturday announced a course on spoken Sanskrit in order to popularise the ancient language, making it possibly the first course of its kind in the country.
- Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh launched the university’s Centre for Spoken Sanskrit which will offer a six-month course for people on how to speak the language.
Tushar Mehta is new Special Public Prosecutor for 2G case
- The central government has named Additional Solicitor General Tushar Mehta as the Special Public Prosecutor for the 2G Spectrum Scam case to file an appeal against the acquittal of the accused by a trial court in December last year.
- A government order said Mehta has been named to conduct “prosecution appeals/ revisions or other proceedings arising out of the cases related to 2G spectrum investigated by the CBI.
National Productivity Council
- The National Productivity Council is observing National Productivity Day today, and National Productivity Week till 18th February.
- It is the 60th Anniversary of the National Productivity Council and is being celebrated as Diamond Jubilee Year.
- “Industry 4.0 Leapfrog Opportunity for India ” has been selected as the theme for the National Productivity Week -2018.
- Industry 4.0 or the fourth industrial revolution as it is called, is emerging globally as a powerful force and is being called as the next industrial revolution.
Also Read : 11 February Current Affairs