Read Latest Current Affairs 2018 for All Competitive Exams like UPSC, State Civil Services like – RAS, PMPSC, TNPSC, IAS, RRB etc. Our Daily Current Affairs Digest will also help for aspirants preparing for banking exams IBPS PO Clerk, SBI, RBI in current affairs sections.You can keep track of all your old posts month wise – All Current Affairs Post Month Wise . Our current Affairs Bulletin includes articles from National Events, New Government Schemes and initiatives, New Appointments along with important international affairs, Sports, Business, Banking Current Affairs, Science and Tech which are useful for all government job aspirants and private Job aspirants.
Current Affairs National
Ashok Das appointed Indian envoy to Brazil
- Ashok Das, a 1987 batch Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer was named India’s new Ambassador to Brazil on Tuesday.
- Das earlier served as India’s Ambassador to Iceland.
- He has also served in the Indian diplomatic missions in Portugal, Cambodia, US, Canada and Bangladesh.
- Das, presently additional secretary in the external affairs ministry, is expected to take up his assignment shortly
Also Read : 13 February Current Affairs
NHAI to rank toll plazas across the country
- The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) on Monday said it was going to rank toll plazas across the country to create a competitive atmosphere and provide best services to highway users.
- NHAI Chairman said that the three best toll plazas will be identified every quarter and their names will be published on the organisation’s website.
Imp Note : NHAI Chairman is Deepak Kumar
Kambar to head Sahitya Akademi
- Kannada litterateur Chandrashekar Kambar has been elected as president of the Sahitya Akademi.
- Hindi poet Madhav Koushik has been elected as vice-president.
- Prof. Kambar is the third Kannada writer to head the country’s premier literary institution, after Vinayak Krishna Gokak (1983) and U.R. Ananthamurthy (1993).
- Prof. Kambar has served as member of the Akademi executive board for over 10 years and was vice-president for 2013-18.
Jharkhand to set up ‘Dada-Dadi’ park in every city
- Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghubar Das on Monday said a “Dada-Dadi Park” for senior citizens would be established in every city of the state soon.
- Dada-Dadi park will setup in every city of the state to provide relief to people from hot summer.
India records marginal increase in forest cover
- India posted a marginal 0.21% rise in the area under forest between 2015 and 2017, according to the biennial India State of Forest Report (SFR) 2017.
- The document says that India has about 7,08,273 square kilometres of forest, which is 21.53% of the geographic area of the country (32,87,569 sq. km).
- Getting India to have at least 33% of its area under forest has been a long standing goal of the government since 1988.
- Report says Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Kerala registered the maximum growth, while northeast States show a decrease.
Current Affairs Business and Economy
PNB detects $1.8 billion worth of fraudulent transactions in Mumbai branch
- State-run Punjab National Bank on Wednesday detected some “fraudulent and unauthorised” transactions worth about $1.8 billion (more than Rs 11,500 crore) at one of its branches in Mumbai.
- The bank said in a regulatory filing the transactions were “for the benefit of a few select account holders with their apparent connivance” and that “based on these transactions other banks appear to have advanced money to these customers abroad.”
Bank of Baroda to exit South Africa amid probe over Gupta ties
- The Bank of Baroda plans to exit South Africa as it faces a probe by regulators about its dealings with the politically connected Gupta family.
- Chief executive officer P.S. Jayakumar said that the bank is talking to regulators around the world to reduce its presence in countries where it doesn’t see a strong business case to rather focus on larger markets where it can better serve new customers.
Govt proposes permitting premature closure of PPF account
- The government proposes to allow premature closure of Public Provident Fund (PPF) accounts and permit opening of small savings accounts in the name of minor, the finance ministry said on Tuesday.
- The legislative changes proposed in the Finance Bill 2018 are aimed at adding flexibility in operation of the account under Small Savings Schemes.
- Small Savings Schemes include Post Office Savings Account, National Savings Monthly Income (Account), National Savings Recurring Deposit, PPF and Sukanya Samriddhi Account.
Sebi passes interim order in Ricoh India accounting fraud case
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) on Monday passed an interim order in the case of fund diversion and falsifying books of Ricoh India Ltd.
- Ricoh India on 19 July 2016 admitted its accounts appear to have been “falsified” even as its Japanese promoter entity Ricoh Co. Ltd proposed to recapitalise the firm for the loss.
- “The company has neither been able to become profitable, nor is able to meet its financial liabilities. Also, Ricoh Japan has disclosed the possibility of additional losses from Ricoh India,” said the Sebi order.
Current Affairs Sports
Asian Games winners in tennis to get direct entry at Tokyo Olympics
- The winners of the men’s and women’s singles tennis of upcoming Asian Games in Jakarta will earn direct entry into the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.
- The ITF on Wednesday announced the introduction of six continental qualification places, approved by the IOC Executive Board, as part of the Tokyo 2020 Qualification System for tennis.
- The 2020 Olympic Tennis Event will feature five disciplines – men’s singles and doubles, women’s singles and doubles, and mixed doubles.
Imp Note : International Tennis Federation (ITF) – Headquarters – London, United Kingdom
President – David Haggerty
India wins 5th ODI against South Africa
- India won the Fifth ODI by 73 runs. Now India has 4-1 winning lead in the series.
- This is the first time that India has won a bilateral series in South Africa.
- PLAYER OF THE MATCH was Rohit Sharma for his 115 runs.
Current Affairs World
World first Ski Robot Challenge held in South Korea
- The world first event, The Edge of Robot: Ski Robot Challenge, was held just outside of PyeongChang at Welli Hilli ski resort on Monday.
- To qualify in the competition, Reuters reported the robots had to be at least 50cm tall, have joint movements like humans and be able to hold ski poles – some of the little robots were even kitted out in ski clothes.
- According to Reuters, the robots were built with camera sensors to detect the flag poles as they skied down the slope, but not all of the robots could make a clean run.
Abdul Hamid re-elected as president of Bangladesh
- Bangladesh President Abdul Hamid has been re-elected for a second term.
- As no one else was running for the presidential position, the election commission is announcing M Abdul Hamid as the country’s next president by Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) of Bangladesh.
Imp Note : Chief Election Commissioner (CEC) of Bangladesh – Nurul Huda
Kuwait to give $2 billion in loans, investments to rebuild Iraq
- Kuwait’s Emir said on Wednesday it will give $1 billion in loans and $1 billion in direct investments to help rebuild Iraq.
- Sheikh Sabah Al Ahmad Al Sabah’s offer shows the deep interest of his nation in making sure Iraq becomes a peaceful, stable country after the war against the Islamic State group in 2003.
Current Affairs Miscellaneous
World Radio Day observed on 13 February
- World Radio Day is an observance day held annually on 13 February.
- It is a day to remember the unique power of radio to touch lives and bring people together across every corner of the globe.
World’s tallest hotel has opened in Dubai
- The world’s tallest hotel named Gevora Hotel has opened in Dubai.
- The Gevora Hotel stands at 356 metres and has 528 rooms.
- It is one metre taller than the previous record holder, the JW Mariott Marquis, which is also in Dubai.
Also Read complete Month GK Post :
Month February, 2018
- 14 February 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 13 February 2018 Current Affairs:
- 12 February 2018 Current Affairs
- 11 February 2018 Current Affairs
- 10 February 2018 Current Affairs
- 9 February 2018 Current Affairs
- 8 February 2018 Current Affairs
- 7 February 2018 Current Affairs
- 6 February 2018 Current Affairs
- 5 February 2018 Current Affairs
- 4 February 2018 Current Affairs
- 3rd Feb 2018 Current Affairs
- 2nd Feb 2018 Current Affairs
- 1st Feb 2018 Current Affairs