Current Affairs National
TRAI allows airlines to offer Wi-Fi and mobile services in-flight
- Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) has allowed mobile communication and Wi-Fi services for passengers during air travel.
- It also suggested restrictions for the minimum height of 3,000 meters and to create separate in-flight service providers.
Imp Note: Secretary of TRAI-Sunil K. Gupta
Former Gujarat Chief Minister Anandiben Patel to be the next Madhya Pradesh Governor
- Anandiben Patel will be the next Governor of MadhyaPradesh. She will replace Om Prakash Kohli who holds additional charge of the office.
- Anandiben was the former CM of Gujarat and also the first women CM of Gujarat (in 2014). She also served as education minister of Gujarat from 2002 to 2007 in BJP government.
Election Commission recommends disqualification of 20 AAP MLAs
- Today Election Commission recommended disqualification of 20 AAP MLAs because they held ‘offices of profit’.
- The recommendation by Election Commission is sent to the Governor for approval.
- At present AAP government in Delhi has 67 MLAs in 70 member house.To maintain majority it needs 36 MLAs, so if 20 MLAs are disqualified it will still have the majority
Imp Note: Chief Election Commissioner of India- Achal Kumar Jyoti
India becomes a member of ‘Australia Group’
- “On 19 January 2018 India formally became the 43rd member of the Australia Group (AG), the cooperative and voluntary group of countries working to counter the spread of materials, equipment and technologies that could contribute to the development or acquisition of chemical and biological weapons (CBW) by states or terrorist groups,” the AG said.
- The Australia Group is a multilateral export control regime (MECR) and an informal group of countries established in 1985 to help member countries to identify those exports which need to be controlled so as not to contribute to the spread of chemical and biological weapons.
Polluted Bellandur Lake catches fire
- Severely polluted lake Bellandur of Bengaluru caught fire on around 10 a.m.
- The 700-acre lake receives over 480 million litres of raw sewage from the city daily.
Current Affairs Business and Economy
HCL Tech Q3 increases by 6%
- IT firm HCL Technologies on Friday posted net profit at Rs 2,194 crore for the December-ended quarter.
- C Vijayakumar is the President and CEO of Hindustan Computers Limited(HCL) Technologies.
With improvement in coal supply second unit of BTPS starts functioning
- After improvement in supply of coal the second 500 MW unit of the Ballari Thermal Power Station (BTPS) at Kuditini near Ballari was made functional on Thursday.
- Due to the severe shortage in coal supply, the second 500 MW unit of BTPS along with the 700 MW unit remained shut since November 2017.
Aadhar-Bank Account linking will eliminate multiple PF accounts says EPFO
- The Employees Provident Fund Organisation said that it will be able to eliminate multiple accounts of the same person once bank accounts are linked with Aadhar.
- “On an average, one person has three PF accounts (in West Bengal) due to change in employment,” Additional Central PF Commissioner S B Sinha said.
- Since 1 July 2017, it is mandatory to link Aadhaar for Universal Account No (UAN) generation.
Current Affairs Sports
India tops Group B in Under19 World Cup
- India thrashed Zimbambe by 10 wickets to win the U19 World Cup match and gain top position in Group Bof the Under 19 Tournament.
- Zimbambe lost all wickets at a score of just 154 in 48.1 overs. India achieved the target in 21.4.
- India are likely to face Bangladesh in the quarterfinal.
India climbs 3 positions to reach 102 ranking in FIFA
- India gained 3 positions to reach 102 ranking in latest FIFA World Rankings, India were 105 in rankings, announced in November last year.
- The top position is retained by Germany.The next FIFA World Ranking will be published on February 15, 2018.
Current Affairs Miscellaneous
Kasturba Gandhi Nursing College signs MoU with IMC University of Applied Sciences, Austria
- Kasturba Gandhi Nursing College of Pillaiyarkuppam, Puducherry has signed a Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) with IMC University of Applied Sciences Krems, Austria, on education, research, and patient care in nursing sciences.
- The institution is constituent college of Sri Balaji Vidyapeeth (Deemed University) since 2009.
80 people injured in Jallikattu in Tiruchi
- Around 80 persons were injuried and 33 had minor injuries at Jallikattu events held in Tiruchi and Ariyalur districts on Thursday.
- Jallikattu is a bull-taming sport celebrated mainly in Tamil Nadu, during the Pongal festival, on Mattu Pongal day.
NDRF celebrates its 13th Raising Day
- The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) celebrated its 13th Raising Day on 19 January 2018.
- NDRF provides specialist response during disasters which are natural or man-made.
Also Read : 18 January Current Affairs