Current Affairs National
Nine new cities added to smart cities mission
- Bareilly, Moradabad and Saharanpur in Uttar Pradesh, Erode in Tamil Nadu, Bihar Sharif in Bihar, Silvasa in Dadra and Nagar Haveli, Diu in Daman and Diu, Kavarati in Lakshadweep and Itanagar in Arunachal Pradesh ae the new cities choosen for smart cities mission.
- The number of cities under the project increased to 99. Under this scheme, each city will get Rs. 500 crore from the centre for implementing various projects.
Two bombs found in Bodh Gaya despite tight security
- Two bombs were found from Bodh Gaya Mahabodhi Temple near Dalai Lama Camp.
- There was rigid security in view of Tibetian Spiritual Leader Dalai Lama stay. Dalai Lama arrived here on 1 January and is likely to stay for 1 month.
Arun Jaitley launches National CSR Data Portal & Corporate Data Portal in Delhi
- Union Finance and Corporate Affairs minister Arun Jaitley launched the National CSR Data Portal & Corporate Data Portal on 19th January, 2018 in the presence of Shri P.P. Chaudhary, Minister of State for Corporate Affairs and Law & Justice.
- The National CSR Data Portal and Corporate Data Portal will reduce the gap in availability of information between Companies and its Stakeholders.
Current Affairs Business and Economy
ONGC will acquire government’s entire 51.11 percent stake in HPCL for Rs 36,915 crore
- Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC) on Saturday said it will acquire the government’s entire 51.11 percent shares in HPCL for Rs 36,915 crore.
- ONGC will pay the government Rs 473.97 per share
Imp Note: CEO- Shashi Shanker
Income Tax Department sends tax notices to cryptocurrencies investors
- After gathering data from nine exchanges in Mumbai, Delhi, Bengaluru and Pune income tax department sent notices to those who invested in bitcoin and other Cryptocurrencies.
- More than $3.5 billion worth of transactions have been conducted in 17 months in country.
Current Affairs Sports
Indian Hockey team enters the final of Four Nation Invitational Hockey Tournament
- Indian Hockey Team defeated New Zealand by 3-1 in their third match to enter the final of the Tournament.
- India will face Belgium in the final match on Sunday.Belgium sealed their place in final after beating Japan 4-1.
India retains title by defeating Pakistan in the final match of Blind Cricket World Cup
- Pakistan scored 307/8 batting first to give India a big target of 308 runs.
- India successfully chased the target with 2 wickets remaining.
- The final was played at Sharjah Cricket Stadium in UAE.
Current Affairs World
US Government shuts down
- The U.S. government shut down early Saturday as Senate Republicans and Democrats struggled to agree on a stopgap funding measure to continue government services.
- Republican Party, Democratic Party, Independent politician are political group of US.
Pakistan targeted over terrorism at UNSC meeting
- India told Pakistan to change its mindset over Terrorism during United Nation Security Council meeting.
- “Terrorism and externally induced instability pose the gravest threat to Afghanistan’s peace, stability and prosperity,” Syed Akbaruddin, Indian ambassador said to the UN.
- In response Pakistan’s representative to the UN, Maleeha Lodhi raised Kulbhushan Jadhav’s case. However Pakistan was not supported by any of the speakers at the meeting.
Current Affairs Miscellaneous
Artificial Intelligence is more profound than electricity and fire says Sunder Pichai
- Google CEO Sundar Pichai has said that AI is more powerful than electricity and fire and it is fair to be worried about it.
- AI is the one of the most thing on which the humans are working on, it can be used to help solve climate change issues, or to cure cancer, he added.
Apple, the world’s most admired company for 2018
- Apple topped fortune magazine’s list of ‘World’s Most Admired Companies’.
- Amazon gets the second, followed by Alphabet.
Also Read: 19 January Current Affairs