Read Latest Current Affairs 2018 for All Competitive Exams like UPSC, State Civil Services like – RAS, PMPSC, TNPSC, IAS, RRB etc. Our Daily Current Affairs Digest will also help for aspirants preparing for banking exams IBPS PO Clerk, SBI, RBI in current affairs sections.You can keep track of all your old posts month wise – All Current Affairs Post Month Wise . Our current Affairs Bulletin includes articles from National Events, New Government Schemes and initiatives, New Appointments along with important international affairs, Sports, Business, Banking Current Affairs, Science and Tech which are useful for all government job aspirants and private Job aspirants.
Current Affairs National
Cabinet approves tribunal to settle Mahanadi water dispute
- The Union Cabinet on Tuesday approved the setting up of a tribunal to settle a row between Odisha and Chhattisgarh on sharing the waters of the river Mahanadi.
- This is in keeping with a Supreme Court order last month directing the Centre to set up a tribunal in response to a plea by the Odisha government to stop the Chhattisgarh government from constructing several dams on the river.
- In 2016, Odisha had moved the SC against Chhattisgarh building dams on the river as it was affecting the river flow and water supply to its farmers.
Imp Note: The Mahanadi is a major river in East Central India. It drains an area of around 141,600 square kilometres (54,700 sq mi) and has a total course of 858 kilometres (533 mi). The river flows through the states of Chhattisgarh and Odisha.
Source – Sihawa, Dhamtari, Dandakaranya, Chhattisgarh, India
Falls in – Bay of Bengal
Cabinet approves agreement with Israel on film co-production
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has given its ex-post facto approval to an Agreement on Film Co-production between India and Israel signed during the visit of Prime Minister of Israel Mr. Benjamin Netanyahu to India, in the presence of both the Prime Ministers in Hyderabad House in New Delhi on 15th January, 2018.
- Co-production of an Indian film with an international party means that Indian producer can access international funds and can collaborate on the script, talent and distribution at international level.
- Co-production of a film under this treaty will qualify it to be national production both in India and Israel.
- This will also enable a common pool of creative, artistic, technical, financial and marketing resources of the two countries.
Aam Aadmi Party To Launch ‘Mission Buniyaad’ To Fix Learning Crisis In Delhi Schools
- The Delhi government on Monday announced the launch of “Mission Buniyaad” for improving learning skills of children studying in state and municipal-run schools.
- The announcement was made by Deputy Chief Minister Manish Sisodia in New Delhi, days after the National Achievement Survey (NAS) showed that the entire country, including Delhi, was facing a learning crisis in schools.
- Under the programme which will run from April to June for Class 3 to 5 in Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) schools and for Class 6 to 8 in government’s schools, children will undergo a reading level assessment based on which they will be enrolled in specialised “Mission Buniyaad” classes.
India contributes $1 million for Tonga devastated by cyclone Gita
- India in contributing $1 million for relief efforts in the Pacific Ocean kingdom of Tonga that was devastated by cyclone Gita last week, according to the UN.
- Of that $500,000 would be given as immediate relief to Tonga and another $500,000 would be allocated to it from the India-UN Development Partnership Fund (I-UNDPF), the UN Office of South-South Cooperation (UNOSSC) announced Monday.
Current Affairs Business and Economy
Government proposes stringent law to check ponzi, unregulated deposits
- The Union cabinet has approved a new law to ban unregulated deposits to prevent duping of gullible investors through Ponzi schemes and approved changes to the chit fund law for a more orderly growth of the sector.
- The government plans to introduce Banning of Unregulated Deposit Schemes Bill, 2018 and Chit Funds (Amendment) Bill, 2018 in Parliament.
- The Unregulated Deposit Schemes Bill, 2018 is aimed at tackling the menace of illicit deposit taking activities in the country, the government said in a statement.
Rotomac bank fraud
- The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Wednesday started questioning of Rotomac owner Vikram Kothari at its headquarters in connection with alleged loan default of Rs3,695 crore towards a consortium of seven nationalised banks.
- Earlier, Kothari was being questioned in Kanpur where his company and residence is located.
- The CBI on Monday booked Rotomac owner Vikram Kothari and his kin for allegedly siphoning off loans worth Rs. 3,695 crore .
- Loans sanctioned for exports were used for other purposes and money was round tripped to Rotomac’s account.
- The company submitted forged documents to get loans.
Current Affairs Sports
Sardar Singh returns as captain for Sultan Azlan Shah Cup
- The Hockey India selectors on Tuesday brought back Sardar Singh as captain of an 28-member Indian squad for the 27th Sultan Azlan Shah Cup to be held in Ipoh, Malaysia from March 3-10.
- Sardar, who was dropped for the last couple of events including the Hockey World League Final in Bhubaneswar at the year-end, has not only been picked in the squad but also given the captain’s armband for the tournament in which India will take on World No 1 Australia, Olympic champions Argentina, England, Ireland and hosts Malaysia.
Kevin Pietersen to end professional career after Pakistan Super League
- After playing over 100 Test matches and nearly 150 ODIs, Kevin Pietersen has decided to retire from professional cricket after this year’s Pakistan Super League, which begins in Dubai on Thursday.
- “The journey has been absolutely amazing and for the next three/four weeks I’ll be a current professional and then it’s chapter closed! Had my time and loved it but the endless goodbyes and travel need to calm down now” he said in a post.
Japan’s Kodaira wins gold in women’s 500m speed skating
- Nao Kodaira stormed to gold in the women’s 500 metres in an Olympic record time of 36.94 seconds at the Gangneung Oval on Sunday, becoming the first female speed skater from Japan to win an Olympic title in an individual event.
- Defending champion Lee Sang-hwa of South Korea settled for silver, while Karolina Erbanova of the Czech Republic won the bronze medal.
Current Affairs World
Saudi Arabia to host first Arab Fashion Week
- Saudi Arabia is set to host in March its first ever Arab Fashion Week, the Arab Fashion Council announced today, overturning decades of draconian policies on arts and entertainment.
- Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, the powerful heir to the Saudi throne, has been leading a drive to reform the country’s dependence on oil, including expanding the private sector and empowering women.
- The Dubai-based Arab Fashion Council said on its website that fashion week would be held in Riyadh from March 26 to March 31, with a second edition already scheduled for October.
Maldives extends state of emergency by 30 days
- Maldives’ parliament has approved the extension of a state of emergency by 30 days, in a vote the opposition condemned as “illegal”.
- The move on Tuesday comes amid continuing protests in the capital, Male, and widespread international condemnation of the initial 15-day emergency imposed by President Abdulla Yameen on February 5.
Pakistan has worst newborn mortality rate
- Newborns in Pakistan, with its rapidly growing population of 207 million inhabitants, face a one in 22 chance of dying in their first month, a UNICEF report.
- In the last ten years Pakistan has spent just 0.5-0.8 percent of its GDP on healthcare.
- According to UNICEF report released on Tuesday, the babies born in the world’s poorest countries, most of them in Africa, still face ‘alarming’ risks of death that can be 50 times as high as those in the richest countries.
Current Affairs Miscellaneous
Vice Admiral RB Pandit assumes charge as INA Commandant
- Vice Admiral SV Bhokare, AVSM, YSM, NM, on Monday handed over his responsibilities as the Commandant, Indian Naval Academy (INA), to Vice Admiral RB Pandit, AVSM after a successful tenure of over 15 months.
- Vice Admiral SV Bhokare, AVSM, YSM, NM took over as the Commandant of the Indian Naval Academy on October 20, 2016.
- During his tenure, the Academy saw marked transformation in infrastructure and training facilities at INA.
India Found to Have Slowest 4G LTE Speeds in the World
- The wireless coverage mapping experts over at UK-based OpenSignal recently released The State of LTE report for February 2018 where it highlighted availability and speeds of 4G LTE networks across several international markets including India.
- Following the November 2017 report released back in December last year, India’s position in the 4G availability has since fallen and the country now ranks below Sweden and Taiwan.
- On the other hand, 4G speeds still remain dismal as India was once again ranked last in the list.
- With an average 4G LTE speed of 6.13Mbps, India was ranked last out of 77 countries on the list. Singapore came first with an impressive 4G speed of 46.64Mbps on average.
- However, India’s dismal performance can be attributed to the millions of new users that came online due to the falling data rates in the country over the last few months.
Also Read Complete Month GK Post :
Month February, 2018
- 20 February 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 19 February 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 18 February 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 17 February 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 16 February 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 15 February 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 14 February 2018 GK and Current Affairs
- 13 February 2018 Current Affairs:
- 12 February 2018 Current Affairs
- 11 February 2018 Current Affairs
- 10 February 2018 Current Affairs
- 9 February 2018 Current Affairs
- 8 February 2018 Current Affairs
- 7 February 2018 Current Affairs
- 6 February 2018 Current Affairs
- 5 February 2018 Current Affairs
- 4 February 2018 Current Affairs
- 3rd Feb 2018 Current Affairs
- 2nd Feb 2018 Current Affairs
- 1st Feb 2018 Current Affairs
- Download Weekly PDF : Download February 2018 First Week GK and Current Affairs PDF