Current Affairs National
PM Narendra Modi to deliver speech at 48th annual meeting of WEF in Davos, Switzerland
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will deliver the keynote speech at World Economic Forum today.
- Narendra Modi is the first Indian prime minister to attend the summit in two decades and is expected to share his vision for India’s future engagements with the international community.
- The official meet of World Economic Forum (WEF) is held in a conference centre in small Swiss ski resort of Davos, where delegates listen to speeches, panel discussions and take part in seminars.
- The official mission of WEF is “improving the state of the world”.
2 days International Dam Safety Conference begins in Thiruvananthapuram
- Two days International Dam Safety Conference will be held from 23 January to 24 January in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala.
- Shri Pinarayi Vijayan, Chief Minister of Kerala will inaugurate the conference and Union Minister of State for of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Shri Arjun Ram Meghwal, will preside over the inaugural function.
- Dam safety conferences are organized as an annual event under the Dam Safety Rehabilitation and Improvement Project (DRIP) project being run by the Ministry of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation (MoWR,RD & GR) in the seven states of Jharkhand, Karnataka, Kerala, Madhya Pradesh, Odisha, Tamil Nadu, and Uttarakhand
Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) move to Delhi High Court against disqualification of MLAs
- The disqualified MLAs of Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) challenged the decision of the EC to disqualify them in an office-of-profit case before the Delhi High Court on Tuesday.
- The hearing of their case will be on Wednesday.
Airlines to charge a big amount for in-flight Wi-Fi
- Passengers have to pay about 20-30% of their fare for in-flight Wi-Fi services as Airlines have to pay service providers like Inmarsat and others a hefty sum to activate in-flight net connectivity.
- According to officials the Net connectivity would range from Rs 500 to Rs 1,000 for thirty minutes to an hour according to international standards.
Indian Railways to introduce ‘Two’ world class trains
- By June 18, the railways will roll out a semi-high speed, self-propelled train set which will cut down the travel time by at least 20%.
- Called as ‘Train 18′, the train sets are designed by The Chennai-based Railways’ Integral Coach Factory (ICF).
- The train will have facilities like on-board Wi-fi and infotainment, GPS based passenger information system and plush interiors with diffused LED lighting.
- Second set of train, named Train 20, is likely to be launched in 2020.
Current Affairs Business and Economy
Global CEO’s survey : India 5th most attractive investment destination
- In a recent global CEO’s survey India surpasses japan to be the 5th most attractive place for investment.
- US ranks first followed by China, Gremany and UK.
India’s richest 1% got 73% of wealth generated last year
- A report by Oxfam shows that the richest 1% in India cornered 73% of the wealth generated in the country last year which raises concern for increasing income inequality.
- The report titled ‘Reward Work, Not Wealth’ is published by International rights group Oxfam.
Current Affairs Sports
- Swiss tennis player Roger Federar reached quarter final of Australian open by beating Marton Fucsovics.
- Roger Fererar will face Tomas in the quarter finals.
Indian Premier League 2018
- 11th Edition of IPL will be held from April 7 to May 27.
- The opening ceremony will be on 6th April.
Current Affairs World
Former International footballer George Weah sworn as Liberia President
- Former International footballer George Weah has been sworn in as President of Liberia.
- “I have spent many years of my life in stadiums, but today is a feeling like no other,” President Weah told crowds in the capital Monrovia.
- Tens of thousands of people attended the inauguration at the Samuel Doe Stadium in Monrovia, with many queuing for hours to enter.
Imp Note: Capital of Liberia is Monrovia
Current Affairs Miscellaneous
Indian Film-star Shahrukh Khan honoured with Crystal Award at WEF
- Shah Rukh Khan was felicitated at 24th Annual Crystal Awards a part of World Economic forum’s meeting for raising awareness about human rights issues and his work for acid attacks victims.
- English singer Sir Elton John and Australian actress Cate Blanchett were also honoured at the Summit.
Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose birth anniversary
- Born on 23 January 1897 Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose was an important leader of Indian independence movement.
- He revived the Indian National Army, popularly known as ‘Azad Hind Fauj’ in 1943 which was initially formed in 1942 by Rash Behari Bose.
- He died in an air crash in Taipei (then Formosa) on August 18, 1945.
Also Read : 22 January Current Affairs