Current Affairs National
Green Index ranks India fourth worst worldwide in curbing Environmental Pollution
- According to latest global rankings of Environmental Performance Index (EPI) released on Tuesday, India is at 177th spot in the list of 180 countries.
- India came down from 141st position to 177th position in two years.
Karnataka Bandh on 25 January
- There will be a Karnataka bandh on January 25 by various organisations protesting against the Centre’s apathy towards the Mahadayi dispute.
- The sharing of the waters of the Mahadayi river is a cause of dispute between the governments of Karnataka and Goa.
S Somnath will be the new director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre’s
- ISRO’s Liquid Propulsion Systems Centre director S Somnath will be the new director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre(VSSC).
- VSSC is the lead centre for launch vehicles development in ISRO focusing on rocket and space vehicles for India’s satellite programme. It is located in Thiruvananthapuram, in the Indian state of Kerala.
Current Affairs Business and Economy
“We are also looking at new opportunities in the Indian economy” says ICICI Bank CEO
- ICICI Bank is looking at new growth opportunities in the Indian economy as new areas are coming up to be tapped post demonetisation and introduction of GST.
- “Further, as the resolution process progresses and government capex picks up, the investment climate will improve leading to private corporate investments eventually looking up. We will look to participate in this pick up as and when it happens,” CEO and MD of ICICI bank Chanda Kochhar said.
Telecom stocks fall after Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd cut tariffs
- Shares of Airtel declined as 6.22 % to 461.5 rupees on Wednesday. Idea Cellular Ltd shares dropped as much as 5.7 %.
- Reliance Jio Infocomm Ltd cut tariffs to counter rival Bharti Airtel Ltd’s revision in data plans, which would help it maintain its price leadership.
Current Affairs Sports
India beats New Zealand in Second-lag Four Nations Invitational Hockey Tournament
- India won first match of Second-lag Four Nations Invitational Hockey Tournament by beating New Zealand by 3-2 at Hamilton.
- India earlier lost to Belgium in final of First-lag Four Nations Invitational Hockey Tournament.
- Rafael Nadal retired hurt in the fifth set of his quarter-final against Marin Cilic on Tuesday.
- Nadal’s withdrawal has handed Roger Federer a huge advantage in the tournament to defend his Australian Open crown.
Siddharth Singh wins Swedish Open Junior title
- Young Indian shuttler Siddharth Pratap Singh won the ‘Swedish Open Junior International Series’ with a straight-game victory over Denmark’s Mads Christophersen in the finals at Uppsala, Sweden.
- Playing his first career final Siddharth defeated Christophersen 21-15, 21-11 in a 33-minute match.
Current Affairs World
US Senate confirms Powell as next Fed chairman
- The United States Senate on Wednesday confirmed Jerome H Powell as the next chairman of the Federal Reserve.
- The Federal Reserve System or FED is the central banking system of the United States.
Current Affairs Miscellaneous
24 January – National Girl Child Day
- The Indian Government declared January 24th as National Girl Child Day in the year 2009. The aim is to raise awareness about sex ratio
levels and to promote the empowerment of girls.
Twitter COO Anthony Noto resigns
- Twitter COO Anthony Noto from twitter to become CEO of SoFi, a finance startup.
Also Read : 23 January Current Affairs