Current Affairs National
Republic Day 2018
- India celebrated its 89th Republic Day today. 10 ASEAN countries leaders were the chief guests of this year’s Republic Day.
- The Chief Guests 10 ASEAN countries were President Joko Widodo of Indonesia, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong of Singapore, Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc of Vietnam, Prime Minister Najib Razak of Malaysia, General Prayuth Chan-o-cha of Thailand, Aung San Suu Kyi of Myanmar, Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte, the Sultan of Brunei Haji Hassanal Bolkiah, Prime Minister Thongloun Sisoulith of Laos and Hun Sen, the Prime Minister of Cambodia.
- The major highlight of the Republic Day parade on Rajpath, New Delhi was a team of Border Security Force (BSF) women who performed daredevil stunts on motorcycle for the first time.
Imp Fact : Republic Day honours the date on which the Constitution of India came into effect on 26 January 1950 replacing the Government of India Act (1935) as the governing document of India.
85 persons received Padma Awards
- 85 eminent personalities were conferred with Padma Awards this year –3 Padma Vibhushan, 9 Padma Bhushan and 73 Padma Shri.
- “Among them 16 are NRIs, PIO. Last year 89 persons were awarded Padma,” said Ministry of Home Affairs on Thrusday.
- NHIDCL and IL&FS transportation signed an MoU for construction of Zojila tunnel at an estimated cost of Rs 6,808.69 crore.
- The tunnel will provide all weather connectivity between Srinagar, Kargil and Leh.
Imp Note: NHIDCL – National Highways & Infrastructure Development Corporation Limited
IL&FS – Infrastructure Leasing & Financial Services
Current Affairs Business and Economy
New Board member to US-India Business Council (USIBC)
- Biotechnology pioneer Kiran Mazumdar-Shaw is inducted in the US Indian Business Council.
- Abbott CEO Mikes White and former CIA director Michael Hayden and ex-national security advisor Stephen Hadley were also inducted in the USIBC on Thursday.
- The U.S.-India Business Council was formed in 1975 as a business advocacy organization to enlighten and encourage the private sectors of both India and United States to enhance investment flows.
World Bank Chief Economist resigns
- World Bank Chief Economist Paul Romer resigned on Wednesday.
- He resigned two weeks after apologizing to the nation of Chile for conveying wrong impression after its ranking fell ins=ease of doing business.
Current Affairs Sports
Saina Nehwal defeats PV Sindhu at Indonesia Masters
- Saina Nehwal defeated PV Sindu, World No.3 in the quarterfinal of Indonesia Masters Badminton Tournament on Friday.
- Saina Nehwal will face Ratchanok Intanon of Thailand in Semifinal on Saturday.
Australian Open 2018
- Indian player Rohan Bopanna entered into mixed-doubles semifinals of the Australian Open Tennis Tournament for the first time in his career.
- The partner of Rohan is Timea Babos of Hungary.
- They defeated defending champions Juan Sebastian Cabal and Abigail Spears in the quarter finals on Wednesday.
Under 19 Cricket World Cup
- India defeated Bangladesh to reach the semi-finals of Under 19 World Cup.
- India will face Pakistan in the semi-final.
Current Affairs World
US State Dept. creates task forces to promote ‘free flow of information’ in Cuba
- ‘The Department of State is convening a Cuba Internet Task Force composed of US government and non-governmental representatives to promote the free and unregulated flow of information in Cuba’, the agency said in a statement.
- The aim of US task force is to expand internet access and independent media in Cuba.
Current Affairs Miscellaneous
Google Doodle celebrates Republic Day of India
- Google celebrated the 89th Republic Day of India with a Google Doodle.
Ashoka Chakra awarded to IAF Commando Jyoti Prakash Nirala Posthumously
- President Ram Nath Kovind presented the Ashoka Chakra, to Jyoti Prakash Nirala’s mother Malti Singh and wife Sushma during the Republic Day celebrations in New Delhi.
- IAF Commando Jyoti Prakash Nirala is first Indian Air Force Commando to receive the award after his death.
- IAF Commando Corporal Jyoti Prakash Nirala had single-handedly shot down three terrorists during an anti-terror operation in Jammu and Kashmir’s Bandipora on November 18 2017.
Also Read : 25 January 2018 current affairs