Current Affairs National
‘Aadhaar’ announced as Oxford Dictionary’s First Hindi word of the year
- ‘Aadhaar’ was announced as oxford Dictionary Hindi word of the year by Oxford Dictionaries at the Jaipur Literature Festival on Saturday.
- The word gained popularity due to Aadhaar card, which was in news last year.
- The other words which wewe shortlisted were Notebandi, Swachh, Vikaas, Yoga and Bahubali.
Himachal Pradesh ‘Shakti’ app for Women safety
- Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur on Friday launched ‘Shakti App’, to ensure safety and protection of women.
- At the time of any trouble the red button of the app is to be pressed to seek help. If the mobile phone is shaken hard or dropped, then too an emergency SMS will go immediately to the nearest police control room within 20 seconds.
- The app also provide automatic video and audio recording of the incident of assault on victim’s mobile handset, which can be later used as evidence.
Imp Note : Governor-Acharya Dev Vrat
Chief Minister-Jai Ram Thakur
President launches Pulse Polio programme for 2018
- President Ram Nath Kovind on Saturday launched the Pulse Polio programme for 2018 by administering polio drops to children below five years at the Rashtrapati Bhavan.
- “We need to remain vigilant and maintain the population’s immunity, and carry out sensitive surveillance till global polio eradication happens as the poliovirus is still circulating in other parts of the world which may reinfect us,” Union Health Minister J P Nadda said on the occasion.
Current Affairs Business and Economy
Blockchain firm raises 24 million dollars to launch its own cryptocurrency
- London based startup company BlockEx raised over $24 million to launch its own cryptocurrency.
- It will also launch its cryptocurrency Digital Asset Exchange Token whose sale will began from 10 February.
- The startup provides tools for exchange, clearing, settlement,regitry and brokerage.
Combined market valuation of nine of top 10 valued companies surges Rs 97,931.85 crore
- The combined market valuation of nine of top 10 valued companies surged Rs 97,931.85 crore last week, with TCS and Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL) leading the pack with maximum gains.
Current Affairs Sports
Four-Nation Invitational Hockey Tournament
- Indian hockey team lost the final of the second-leg Four-Nation Invitational Tournament to Belgium in Hamilton on Sunday.
- The Final was decided by a Penalty Shoot-out.
Indonesia Masters 2018
- Indian shuttler Saina Nehwal lost in the final of the Indonesia Masters World Tour Super 500. She was defeated by world No.1 Tai Tzu Ying in straight games.
- The Chinese Taipei became the first player from her country to win the Indonesia Masters title.
Freedom Series- India v/s South Africa Test Cricket Series
- India win 3rd and final test match against South Africa at Wanderers cricket ground in Johannesburg by 63 runs.
- However South Africa won the series with 2-1
- This win India ensured that India will stay at top the ICC Test Rankings.
- Women’s Singles – Caroline Wozniacki defeated Simona Halep to lift the Australian Open trophy. This is her First grand slam Title.
- Mixed Doubles – Timea Babos and Rohan Bopanna loses final to Gabriela Dabrowski and Mate Pavic.
Current Affairs World
95 killed and 158 injured in car bomb in Kabul
- At least 95 dead and 158 were in a ambulance bomb attack near foreign embassies and govt. buildings in Kabul.
- The Taliban has claimed responsibility for the attack.
- This happened a week after an attack in Intercontinental Hotel in Kabul.
Imp Note: Capital of Afghanistan-Kabul
Current Affairs Miscellaneous
Chennai declared ‘ODF’
- The Greater Chennai Corporation has declared the city as ‘Open Defecation Free’.
- The declaration is mandatory as per the protocol issued by the Ministry ofUrban Development, under the Swachh Bharat Mission.
- Swachh Bharat Mission was launched on 2 Oct 2014.
Also Read : 27 January Current Affairs