Current Affairs National
Navy launches third Scorpene class submarine Karanj
- The Indian Navy on Wednesday launched the third Scorpene class submarine Karanj. It was launched by Navy Chief Admiral Sunil Lanba’s wife Reena Lanba.
- “It (submarine) will undergo rigorous tests for the next one year before it is commissioned,” Admiral Lanba said during launch.
- The submarine is built by shipbuilder Mazagon Dock Limited (MDL). The submarines are being built in collaboration with French shipbuilding major Naval Group (formerly DCNS).
India world’s sixth wealthiest country
- According to a report by by New World Wealth, India has been ranked sixth in the list of wealthiest countries with total wealth of $8,230 billion.
- The US is the wealthiest country with total wealth of $64,584 billion, followed by China ($24,803 billion) and Japan ($19,522 billion).
- Total wealth refers to the private wealth held by all the individuals living in each country/city.
Prakash Padukone gets Lifetime Achievement Award
- Badminton legend Prakash Padukone was honoured by Badminton Association of India (BAI).
- Vice President M Venkaiah Naidu presented the BAI’s Lifetime Achievement Award to former veteran badminton player at a function held in New Delhi on Monday.
- Prakash Padukone retired from the badminton arena in 1991.
- He has also served as the coach of the Indian national badminton team from 1993 to 1996.
Sushma Swaraj to visit Nepal in February
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj will travel to Kathmandu on Thursday.
- Sushma Swaraj’s two-day visit to Nepal is to hold discussions with political leaders on issues of “mutual interest”.
- “The upcoming visit will provide an opportunity to hold discussions with political leaders of Nepal on issues of mutual interest, and to advance age-old, special ties of friendship between India and Nepal,” the ministry said in a release.
Current Affairs Business and Economy
India’s crude steel production rises 6.2% to 101.4 MT in 2017
- According to a report by World Steel Association, India’s crude steel production grew by 6.2 per cent to 101.4 million tonnes (MT) in 2017 compared to 95.5 MT in the previous year.
- India has overtaken the US to become the world’s third largest steel producer.
- China is the world leader in steel production followed by Japan.
Indian Oil’s profit rises 97% to 7,883 Crore in Dec
- Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) on Tuesday reported 97.3% increase in net profit to 7,883.2 Crore for December quarter.
- Revenue of company increased about 13% to 1.32 trillion .
Current Affairs Sports
79th 11Sports National Table Table Tennis Championship
- Sharath Kamal rolled over Petroleum Sports Promotion Board compatriot Anthony Amalraj to hold a record-equalling eighth men’s title in the 79th 11Sports National Table Table Tennis Championship.
- The championship was played at Ranchi’s Mega Sports Complex on Tuesday.
Mary Kom makes it to the semifinals of Spicejet-India Open international boxing championship
- Five-time World Champion and Olympic bronze medalist MC Mary Kom entered into semifinals of the SpiceJet India Open International Boxing tournament at the Thyagraj Indoor stadium on Tuesday.
- Olympian Shiva Thapa, Sarita Devi, Manoj Kumar, Dheeraj, Rohit Tokas also made it to the medal round.
Current Affairs World
China drawing new “battle plan” to curb pollution
- China is currently drawing up new “battle plan” to curb pollution over the 2018-2020 period.
- Currently China is drawing up supporting regulations for major industrial regions like Beijing-Tianjin-Hebei and the Yangtze river delta.
Imp Note : Capital of China – Beijing
Kenyan Opposition leader declares himself ‘people’s President’
- Kenya’s main opposition leader, Raila Odinga, has declared himself the “people’s president” at a controversial “swearing-in” ceremony in the capital.
- President Uhuru Kenyatta was sworn in for a second term last November. He won an election re-run in October, but Mr Odinga boycotted it.
- Raila Odinga said he wants to create “a proper democracy” in Kenya.
Imp Note : Capital of Kenya – Nairobi
Earthquake of magnitude 6.1 strikes Afghanistan; tremors felt in Srinagar, Delhi
- A earthquake of magnitude 6.1 shook Kabul on Wednesday. The earthquake originated 35 kilometres south of Jarm in Afghanistan, close to the Tajikistan border.
- The tremors of quake was felt in Delhi and NCR (National Capital Region), Srinagar and Punjab.
France heaviest rains in 50 years flood out Paris
- Floodwaters peaked in French capital Paris on Monday because of heavy rains in 50 yrs.
- The rain-engorged Seine River winds through Normandy toward the English Channel.
- The waters are expected to stay unusually high for days or weeks.
Current Affairs Miscellaneous
Total lunar eclipse on January 31 to be visible from India
- Total Lunar Eclipse on Wednesday will be visible in India with the moon glowing Reddish Brown.
- This is the first ‘Super Blue Blood Moon’ (Supermoon) total eclipse in 150 years.
- “If the three are almost exactly on the same line, we have a total lunar eclipse. Even during a total lunar eclipse, some of the sun’s rays get refracted through the earth’s atmosphere and strike the moon, which thereby takes on a low brown red glow which is what will happen on January 31st. Some people call this the Blood Moon,” BM Birla Science Centre’s Director, BG Sidharth said.
Khelo India to be held from 31 January to 8 February
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi will launch the first Khelo India School Games at Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium in New Delhi on January 31, 2018.
- The Khelo India programme has been introduced to revive the sports culture in India at the grass-root level by building a strong framework for all sports played in our country and establishing India as a great sporting nation.
- Talented players identified in priority sports disciplines at various levels by a High-Powered Committee will be provided annual financial assistance of Rs. 5 lakh per annum for 8 years.
- Under-17 athletes have been invited to participate across 16 disciplines: Archery, Athletics, Badminton, Basketball, Boxing, Football, Gymnastics, Hockey, Judo, Kabaddi, Kho-Kho, Shooting, Swimming, Volleyball, Weightlifting, and Wrestling.
- 199 gold medals, 199 silver medals and 275 bronze medals are at stake in the Khelo India School Games.
Google Assistant adds Hindi language support for India
- Google Assistant adds Hindi language support so that voice commands can now understand the Hindi language, which is spoken largely in India.
- However, the Android device settings must have English – India as the main language for this support to work.
Google Assistant then translates Hindi voice commands to English.
Also Read : 30 January 2018 Current Affairs