Current Affairs National
India joins Ashgabat pact to connect Central Asia, Persian Gulf
- India has joined the Ashgabat Agreement which plans to facilitate trade between Central Asia and the Persian Gulf by creating a transport and transit corridor.
- The agreement would positively influence India’s trade with Central Asia and diversify its connectivity options with the region, the Ministry of External Affairs said.
- Turkmenistan, Iran, Oman and Uzbekistan had signed the pact in 2011.
40 million cows to get Aadhaar-like number
- The Narendra Modi government is set to assign each of the country’s milk-producing cows a cheap, unique identity card or UID, first proposed in 2015.
- Each card will cost between Rs 8 and Rs 10. Deliverable targets in this year’s Union budget show Rs 50 crore for the project to cover 40 million cattle.
Maharashtra to set up transgender welfare board soon
- Minister of state for social justice Dilip Kamble told PTI that the Welfare Board for transgenders will be set up in a month’s time.
- It will look after education, employment, housing, and health schemes for transgenders and protect their Constitutional and human rights.
- Maharashtra government making a provision of Rs 5 crore for welfare of the community.
5th International Biennial Conference of Indian Heritage Network (IHCN) opened up in Odisha
- 5th International Biennial Conference of Indian Heritage Network (IHCN) was opened up in Odisha signifying socio-cultural heritage surrounding art and craft of India which will be for three days.
- International Biennial Conference of Indian Heritage Network was inaugurated by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
- During inaugural event CM Patnaik said “along with the development of modern amenities and facilities, our cities should also be vibrant with the socio-cultural life, centered on heritage, art and craft.’’
Current Affairs Business and Economy
Reliance Industries to invest ₹ 2,500 crore in Assam
- Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani on Saturday announced an investment of ₹2,500 crore in Assam.
- The investment will be in various sectors, including retail, petroleum, telecom, tourism and sports.
- It will create jobs for at least 80,000 people over the next three years.
CBDT sends notices to individuals who deposited over Rs. 15 lakh but didn’t file return
- Central Board of Direct Taxes Chairman Sushil Chandra on Saturday said notices were sent to those who deposited more than Rs 15 lakh in banks during demonetisation but didn’t file any return.
- Over 1,98,000 notices were sent during December-January to pursue that everybody should file return who deposited more than Rs 15 lakh during demonetisation.
Apple overtakes Samsung in global smartphone market share in Q4
- Apple overtook Samsung as the largest smartphone maker in 4th quarter of 2017.
- According to a report by research firm IDC Apple’s sales gave the company 19.2% market share as compared to Samsung’s 18.4%.
Current Affairs Sports
Indian Open Badminton
- P. V. Sindhu won the opening game 21-13 in 20 minutes against former World champion Ratchanok Intanon in the second semifinal to reach final.
- In mixed doubles, the lone Indian pair of eighth seed Pranav Chopra and N. Sikky Reddy lost in straight games to their higher-ranked Danish rivals.
Taiwan Open Women’s Tennis Tournament
- Timea Babos won in straight sets against Kateryna Kozlova of Ukraine to win the Taiwan Open title.
- This is her second title of 2018 after claiming the doubles trophy in Melbourne last month.
Shubhankar Sharma wins Maybank Championship title
- Shubhankar Sharma fired a stunning 10-under 62 in the final round to claim a two-stroke victory at the Maybank Championship on Sunday.
- The Maybank Championship is a golf tournament, co-sanctioned by the Asian Tour and the European Tour, to be played annually in Malaysia.
Current Affairs Miscellaneous
World Cancer Day 2018
- World Cancer Day is an international day marked on February 4 to raise awareness of cancer and to encourage its prevention, detection, and treatment.
- The theme for observing World Cancer Day is ‘We Can. I can.’
Tata Group to begin 17 cancer care centres across Assam from 2019
- Tata group will setup 17 cancer care centres in Assaam from 2019.
- Tata Sons chairman Natarajan Chandrasekaran on Saturday said that the Tata Group will join hands with Assam government to roll out an elaborate cancer care programme across 15 districts of the state from next year.
- “Tata group has a long-standing relation with Assam. Assam is very close to us. Our cancer care programme will be launched in the state in coming days,” Chandrasekaran said.
Also Read : 3 February Current Affairs