Current Affairs National
President Kovind to inaugurate Mahamastakabhisheka Utsav of Lord Gommateshwara
- President Ram Nath Kovind will inaugurate today the 88th Mahamastakabhisheka Utsav of Lord Gommateshwara in Shravanbelagola in Hassan district of Karnataka.
- Mahamastakabhisheka of Gommateshwara, who is also known as Bahubali takes place once in 12 years.
- It is an important Jain pilgrimage centre and lakhs of tourists visit Shravanbelagola to see 57 feet tall monolithic stone statue that is anointed from head to feet during the Utsav.
Production of Rs 10 coins halted
- Production of Rs 10 coins has been halted temporarily due to adequate stocks, the government informed the Lok Sabha.
- Sufficient stocks of coins are available to meet public demand, the Finance Minister said.
Imp Note : Finance Minister and Minister of Corporate Affairs – Arun Jaitley
Forbes India 30 Under 30 list
- Indian cricketers Jasprit Bumrah and Harmanpreet Kaur as well India women’s hockey team goalkeeper Savita Punia and shooter Heena Sidhu are among Forbes India 30 Under 30, a list that celebrates ‘twenty-somethings who are shaping the new India’.
- The list also includes actress Bhumi Pednekar, Mithila Palkar and Singer Jubin Nautiyal.
- Click here to view full list
Current Affairs Business and Economy
Mining leases in Goa can’t operate from 15 March says Supreme Court
- The Supreme Court on Wednesday quashed 88 mining leases granted by the Goa government for violating procedure and ordered that fresh licences be granted through a bidding process.
- The court said the government’s process of renewing the mining permits was “in violation of law”.
I-T Department Sends Tax Notices To Cryptocurrency Investors
- The tax department is issuing notices to people who invested in crypto currencies like bitcoin but did not declare income or ‘profits earned’ from them, CBDT chairman Sushil Chandra said today.
- “People who have made investments (in crypto currency) and have not declared income while filing taxes and have not paid tax on the profit earned by investing, we are sending them notices as we feel that it is all taxable,” he said.
Imp Note : CBDT – Central Board of Direct Taxes
Chairman – Sushil Chandra
Current Affairs Sports
Viswanathan Anand to make Pro Chess League debut
- Grandmaster Viswanathan Anand will be making his debut in the second edition of the Pro Chess League.
- The Professional Rapid Online Chess League is an online rapid chess league operated by chess.com.
- The league comprises eight teams each bunched into four Divisions — Eastern, Central, Atlantic and Pacific.
Current Affairs World
SpaceX launches car in space
- SpaceX’s big new rocket blasted off on Tuesday on its first test flight, carrying a red sports car aiming for an endless road trip past Mars.
- The Falcon Heavy rose from the same launch pad used by NASA nearly 50 years ago to send men to the moon.
- SpaceX chief executive Elon Musk owns the rocketing Tesla Roadster, which is shooting for a solar orbit that will reach all the way to Mars.
‘Los Angeles Times’ to be sold
- Tronc Inc, the owner of the Los Angeles Times, is expected to announce a sale of the newspaper to billionaire biotech investor Patrick Soon-Shiong
- Mr. Soon-Shiong, a major shareholder in Tronc and chief executive of NantHealth Inc, will also buy the Times’ sister newspaper, the San Diego Union-Tribune.
Current Affairs Miscellaneous
Auto Expo 2018
- Auto Expo 2018 will be held at two separate venues as (1)Auto Expo 2018 – Vehicles scheduled from 9 to 14 February 2018 at Greater Noida (India Expo Mart), UP, INDIA (2) Auto Expo 2018 – Components scheduled from 8 to 11 February 2018 at Hall 7A-H, 8-12A, Lake Hangar (Hall A-C), Pragati maidan, New Delhi, India.
WhatsApp to soon launch group voice, video calling feature
- WhatsApp will soon launch group voice and Video calling feautre. This new feature is currently in beta mode.
- WhatsApp currently supports voice and video calls for one-on-one chats only.
Also Read : 6 February Current Affairs