Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science preparation strategy, how to prepare for Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science, important books for Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science, important topics for Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science, UPSC Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science preparation strategy, what is Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science Preparation Strategy for UPSC CSE
Every year UPSC conducts examination for the recruitment of various civil services like IAS, IPS, and IRTS etc. UPSC CSE total consist of 9 papers & you have a choice to choose your optional paper for both the optional paper examination. Each optional paper has a weightage of 250 marks & total of optional papers is from 500. So it is a great opportunity to score in civil services examination.
Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science is one of the optional subjects for UPSC Civil Services Examination. It is specialized subject & only those students who have a background in this subject can opt this as their optional.
Today in our article we are providing you the details about Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science & strategy for the preparation of Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science.
Also read: The journey of some UPSC Toppers.
What is Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science?
Animal husbandry is the branch of agriculture concerned with animals that are raised for meat, fiber, milk, eggs, or other products. It includes day-to-day care, selective breeding and the raising of livestock. It is a branch of agriculture concerned with the production and care of domestic animals.
Veterinary science deals with the health and well-being of animals. Like medical degrees, this encompasses everything from preventative care to psychological analysis and complex surgical procedures. It is the branch of medicine concerned with the health of animals and the treatment of injuries or diseases that affect them.
Syllabus for Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
- Animal Nutrition
- Latest advances in protein nutrition
- Major and trace minerals
- Feed additives
- Conservation of fodders
- Advances in ruminant nutrition
- Swine Nutrition
- Poultry nutrition
- Animal Physiology
- Blood constituents
- Excretion-Structure and function of kidney-formation of urine-methods of studying the renal function-renal regulation of acid-base balance
- Endocrine glands
- Physiology of Milk Production
- Animal Reproduction
- Livestock Production and Management
- Commercial meat, egg and wool production
- Genetics and Animal Breeding
- Population Genetics applied to Animal Breeding
- History of animal genetics.
- Breeding Systems
- Anatomy, Pharmacology, and Hygiene
- Histology and Histological Techniques
- Bovine Anatomy
- Pharmacology and therapeutic drugs
- Veterinary Hygiene with reference to water, air, and habitation
- Animal Diseases
- Veterinary Public Health
- Veterinary Jurisprudence
- Milk Products Technology
- Meat Hygiene and Technology
Benefits of Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science
The syllabus of Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science is short as compared to other optional subjects. So, it will be easy for all the candidates to prepare for this exam. You can easily manage the syllabus as it is short.
General Studies paper & Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science have some overlapping of questions. Several questions on specific topics will come in both the exams.
The second paper of Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science is similar to the second paper of Zoology.
There is less competition, as the candidates who have a background in this subject only opt this as their optional subject.
Important Topics for Paper 1
- The paper I of Animal Husbandry & Veterinary Science mainly focuses on Animal Nutrition like Energy protein interrelationships, Special features of poultry nutrition, Growth and Animal Production Prenatal and postnatal growth.
- The important topics for paper 1 are Animal Physiology and Animal Reproduction.
- Paper 1 also includes questions on Livestock Production & management under the Animal Physiology & Animal Reproduction.
- Several important topics for paper 1 are feeding and management of animals under drought, flood and other natural calamities.
Important Topics for Paper 2
- The paper 2 is similar to the Paper 2 of Zoology.
- First, you should focus on Anatomy, Pharmacology & Hygiene.
- Paper 2 also consist questions on Embryology of vertebrates with special reference to aves and domestic mammal’s gametogenesis.
- Some of the important topics are Deficiency diseases of domestic animals and birds, Veterinary Public Health, Physical and chemical characteristics of meat.
Reference Material/ Books
The books will give you the basic idea &general background information of the focused topic. The list of books which will help you during your preparation for Animal husbandry & veterinary science is given below.
- Introduction to Agriculture – A K Vyas, Jain Brothers
- Milk and Milk Products Technology -Subhash Biswas, Jaypee Brothers
- Principles of Agronomy- Yellamanda Reddy, Kalyani Publishers
- Principles of Animal Nutrition & Feed Technology- D V Reddy, Oxford
- Principles of Genetics & Animal Breeding- F H KHAN, Jaypee Brothers
- Textbook of Animal Diseases -Ashok Kumar, Sonali Publication
- A guide on Forest Entomology – Regupathy
- A Textbook of Animal Husbandry- G C Banerjee
- Advanced Animal Nutrition- D. V Reddy
- Agricultural Economics- S Subba Reddy
- Animal husbandry & veterinary science- T.N. Palanivelu
- Animal Husbandry- Gyan Deep Singh, Anmol Publishers
- Fundamentals of Agriculture Volume-2 -Arun Katyayan, Kushal Publications
- General Agriculture- Muniraj S Rathore, Jain Brothers
- Handbook of Agriculture, Publisher: ICAR
- Handbook of Animal Husbandry -Manoj Kumar Rai, Oxford Book Company
- Horticulture at a Glance Volume II -A S Salaria, Jain Brothers
- Indian forestry – A breakthrough approach to forest service- K. S Manikandan and S. Prabhu
- Animal Physiology- K. A. Goyal, Rastogi Publishing
- Animal Physiology- Kavita Juneja, Anmol Publishers
- Basics of Animal Physiology- Monalisa Kar, Anmol Publishers
- Biotech’s Dictionary of Animal Husbandry – Daya Publishing
- Biotechnology Expanding Horizons – B D Singh, Kalyani Publishers
- Essentials of Plant Breeding -Phundan Singh, Kalyani Publishers
- Fundamentals of Agriculture Volume-1 -Arun Katyayan, Kushal Publications
Overall Preparation Strategy
- First thing is you should go thoroughly the syllabus of the exam. Go through each of the section in the syllabus.
- After knowing your syllabus choose books which are appropriate for you.
- Always start with some NCERTs or basic books. This will give you the basic idea & concepts of the subject & the topics.
- After going through the basic books start moving to the difficult ones so that you will get to know how difficult the questions can be.
- After choosing books, start reading every section of the book. While reading the books don’t forget to make notes.
- You can make motes in bullet points, this will make easy for you to revise the topic as well as you can easily saw the main heading or basic idea of the topic. So keep your notes short & relevant.
If you have any doubt or need guidance you can comment below, our team will try to answer it.