About Ganga Singh upsc topper, Books for UPSC preparation, IAS Topper 2016, IAS Topper Interview, Marks of Ganga Singh, Strategy by UPSC topper Ganga Singh, Success story of UPSC topper, Tips for preparation for UPSC
The Journey of Ganga Singh: UPSC CSE 2016 Topper Rank-33
Every year many candidates prepare for UPSC civil services examination, but there are only a few of them who are able to clear the prestigious exam. Same happen with Ganga Singh, a boy whose hard work worths it as he was able to clear the exam in the few attempts.
Ganga Singh cleared the UPSC exam in his two attempts. So in this article, we are going to discuss the strategy he used to follow during his preparation. We are going to tell you about the books Ganga used to read in Hindi medium.
About Ganga Singh
Name: Ganga Singh
Home Town: Rajasthan
Total No. of Attempts: 2
Rank: AIR 33
Roll No.: 78265
Optional Subject: Hindi Literature
Ganga is a small town boy who has a passion & dedication to follow his dreams. He used to live in Barmer a small district in Rajasthan. As he lives in a small village so he didn’t have a lot of services which usually the people in a city have. He was totally dependent on his hard work & dedication.
While he was doing his graduation, his parents suggested him to prepare for UPSC, especially his grandfather gave him the suggestion to join civil services. When he was in the final year of his graduation, he decided that he will go further in civil services. He started his preparation by reading some NCERTs and making notes from them.
While he was preparing for CSE he also followed the interviews of other civil services topper to get an idea about the exam interview pattern. Then he finally attempted for civil services by the thought that it will provide him a comprehensive platform to render his efforts.
He is a brilliant student from his school days. In spite living in a small town never demotivated him to do anything. He completed his 10th standard from a school in his village. He topped the school in 10th standard with 76% and after seeing his efforts & dedication, his teachers suggested him to opt science in his 12th standard.
Then he took science in his 12th standard and completed his schooling from Jalore. This time again he proved himself, by securing the 6th position all over district & topping the school. After every obstacle he proved himself.
After completing his schooling he chooses to do B.Sc. for his graduation & to pursue B.Sc. he came to Jodhpur. He completed his graduation from Jai Narain Vyas University, Jodhpur. Here also, he secured a good percentage of 76%.
He didn’t stop here. He further pursues his studies in M.A. (Hindi Literature). He completed his masters from a very well-known university i.e. Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), New Delhi.
Also read: The stories of some UPSC Toppers.
Marks of Ganga Singh
He secured good marks in prelims as well as in mains that’s why he was able to clear the exam.
Paper 1: 145.34
Paper 2: 111.68
Main Examination Marks
He secured a total of 1061 marks and become a national topper by securing 33rd rank. His mains marks are given below.
Mandatory/ Compulsory Paper
General Studies 1: 119
General Studies 2: 83
General Studies 3: 107
General Studies 4: 108
Optional Paper 1: 156
Optional Paper 2: 159
Written Total: 889
Interview/ Personality Test: 172
Total Marks: 1061
As he is a topper and he learned from his mistakes. So we are also going to tell you the strategy which he used to follow or he suggested for all other aspirants.
As in prelims, the comprehension portion of the exam is becoming tougher & lengthier also. Many candidates were not able to finish the exam in time as well. So, in this case, the things which will help you are:
- Do not leave any section entirely blank in the paper. At least give an attempt & try to write something related or relevant according to the question.
- Do not act over smart while you were in the exam hall. Read every passage twice, understand it properly and then start attempting the question.
- Firstly attempt all those questions which you were sure about. Attempt those questions which you have maximum clarity in your mind.
- The important thing is patience, so be patient even after you were not able to solve some questions. Remain calm and focus on other questions. Do not waste your time just because of a single question. Move forward & attempt other questions.
- Next, while you were preparing for prelims, then focus on mathematics, logical reasoning & comprehension.
So, these were some points which you should take care of, while you were preparing or attempting UPSC Civil Services Prelims Examination.
Books for Hindi Medium
As Ganga was a Hindi medium student and he also attempted the exam in Hindi as well his optional subject was also Hindi literature. So some of the books which he read are given below.
Books for History
- NCERT Books of Class 6, 7, 8 & 12
- Old NCERT Books of Class 11th & 12th
- Modern Indian of Spectrum
Books for Geography
- NCERT Books of Class 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 & 12
- Oxford School Atlas
Books for Polity
- NCERT Book of Class 11th & 12th
- Laxmikanth of India
Books for Economics
- NCERT Book of Class 11th
- Rameshwar Notes: You can buy them from any market in Delhi.
- Economic Survey
Books for Science- Technology
- NCERT Books of Class 6th to 10th
- VisionIaAS Current Affairs
Books for Environment & Ecology
- Vision Special
- VisionIAS Current Affairs Magazine
Resources for Current Affairs
- VisionIAS Monthly Magazine
- Vision Current Affairs Today
- Dainik Jagran Newspaper (National Edition)
Resources for Ethics
- 2nd ARC Report
- Abhay Kumar Notes: You can purchase these notes from the market
So this was our article about the journey of Ganga Singh: A small town boy to a UPSC CSE topper. We hope that our article will help you in your preparation as well as motivate you from his story.
If you have any doubt or need guidance you can comment below, our team will try to answer it.
Other Recent UPSC Toppers Success Story
- Ira Singhal – UPSC Topper 2014, AIR 1
- TINA DABI AIR 1 UPSC Topper 2015: YOUNGEST IAS TOPPER
- Nandini KR- UPSC Topper 2016 AIR 1
- Arushi Sharma – Rank 292, UPSC 2016
- Success Story of Jasmeet Singh Sandhu: 2015 UPSC TOPPER (AIR 3)
- Artika Shukla: UPSC Topper 2015, AIR 4
- Saumya Pandey: UPSC 2016 Topper, AIR 4
- TEJASVI RANA AIR 12, UPSC 2016
- SUMAN SOURAV: AIR 9, UPSC 2016
- SHWETA CHAUHAN: UPSC IAS AIR 8
- ANAND VARDHAN- UPSC IAS TOPPER AIR-7
- ANMOL SHER SINGH BEDI: 2016 UPSC IAS TOPPER
- Athul Janardhanan: UPSC Topper 2016 AIR 13
- Ashish Tiwari: UPSC 2015 Topper, AIR 6
- Siddharth Jain: UPSC AIR 13 2015
- Nidhi Gupta: UPSC IAS Topper 2014 AIR 3
- IAS Topper Renu Raj AIR 2, 2014
- Anupam Shukla: UPSC IAS topper 2015, AIR 10
- Gopalakrishna Ronanki UPSC IAS Topper 2016: A Primary School Teacher to an IAS Officer
- Charusree T 2014 UPSC Topper AIR 6
- Kirthi Chekuri UPSC 2015 Topper AIR 14
- Kothamasu Dinesh Kumar: 2016 UPSC IAS topper
- Suharsha Bhagat CSE Rank 5
- Utsav Kaushal: AIR 14 CSE 2016
- Lok Bandhu: UPSC 2014 Topper AIR 7
- Namami Bansal: 2016 UPSC Topper AIR 17
- Vandana Rao: UPSC 2014 topper AIR 4
- Sahil Gupta: 2016 UPSC AIR 19
- Nishant Jain: AIR 13 CSE 2014
- Chandra Mohan Garg: Rank-25 UPSC CSE 2015
- Manish Gurwani: 2016 UPSC Topper AIR 18
- Shivam Pratap Singh: UPSC 2016 , AIR 52
- Sweta Agarwal: UPSC 2016 Topper AIR 19